Thursday, February 7, 2008

La Vie en Rose Review


Knowning basically nothing about the life of Edith Piaf I went into this with an open mind. It really didn't do much for me, however. As recent music biopics go I FAR prefer Walk the Line or Ray. Cotillard, decked out in fake looking prosthetics, nails all the Piaf mannerisms (or so I hear) but does, thankfully, at times manages to transcend the make-up and mimicry especially in a nice scene at a diner during her first trip to New York. I didn't appreciate Dahan's direction as nearly every scene feels melodramatic and somewhat surreal. Gerard Depardieu is good but alas underused as Piaf's basically absentee father. To be completely honest I found the well over two hour running time highly exhausting, at least Cotillard makes it somewhat tolerable.

Overall Score: 4/10

No comments: