Thursday, April 3, 2008

Run Fatboy Run Review


To be honest I think Simon Pegg has become one of my absolute favorite comedians and I've seen only three of his movies now. For my money Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz both rank as two of the funniest movies of the past decade and Pegg's work here, though not as funny, is certainly worthy of his prior accomplishments. The story here is cliched and kind of silly but is, mercifully, not played as ridiculously and ham-fistedly as it could've been (though I feel a need to point out that our hero runs roughly a 4:30 first mile which would never ever ever be possible). Thandie Newton gives a decent enough supporting role but is really not given too much material to work with. Hank Azaria seems to be having a really good time playing the heavy and gives a surprisingly restrained performance in what could've easily become a trite, contrived villain role. Look, a movie called Run Fatboy Run is clearly not out to collect many Academy Awards but this is a really enjoyable mix of British comedy and American romantic comedy and I recommend it.

Overall Score: 7/10

No comments: