Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cloverfield Review


I think this is probably the most intense and creative monster movie I've ever seen. For what is really such a silly plot (think Godzilla), it really works surprisingly well. I was especially surprised by how effective the handy-cam point of view camera work was. Even the acting was better than I expected, highlighted by Michael Stahl-David (who was the best part of the terrible Black Donnely's tv show) who brings surprising believability to sort of a one note character. I think it's definitely an experience worth having in the trapped environment of a movie theather and it's short runtime makes sure it doesn't overstay its welcome. On a side note: I think it's one of the best budget-to-output movies I've ever seen special effects wise...good stuff.

Overall Score: 8/10

No comments: