Friday, March 7, 2008

10,000 B.C. Review


Well this was really remarkably awful. I mean I can barely put in to words how ridiculously stupid the plot and screenplay are. It might be the worst screenplay ever put to film. It rips elements and even scenes right out of numerous other films (Lord of the Rings, 300, Apocalypto) but it most closely mimics the plot of Roland Emmerich's own (far superior) Stargate. I'm not even going to try to touch on all of the ridiculous historical inaccuracies but I am curious as to when ostriches and velociraptors mated and created the villainous jungle birds seen here. Based on this and When a Stranger Calls Camilla Belle should thank her lucky stars that she's a beautiful woman...because she is an absolutely terrible actress. I had never heard of Steven Strait before this and I feel no urge to see any more of his work. Cliff Curtis, who has a given a number of decent performances in his career most notably in Three Kings and in Sunshine, at least seems to be trying to do something with the material. I just have trouble understanding how someone couldn't have tapped Roland Emmerich on the shoulder throughout this whole process and asked 'what the hell are you doing?' This is the worst 'event movie' that I can remember. It gets a two of ten instead of a one because the action scenes are pretty well done and because the cinematography is, at times, gorgeous. It also has one of the dumbest endings in cinema history. Don't see this by choice and if you have to then see it drunk.

Overall Score: 2/10

No comments: